STEP TAKEN TO GET APPROVED FOR DODSKILLBRIDGE/PRE-APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
SkillBridge is an excellent opportunity as you plan for your life after the military. SkillBridge matches civilian opportunities for your job training and work experience at the end of your military duty. You can enhance your marketability and post-separation career prospects by participating in a SkillBridge opportunity.
Any rank, enlisted or officer, may apply for SkillBridge. SkillBridge permits you to use up to the last 180 days of Service to work and learn with an industry partner. During SkillBridge participation you continue to receive military compensation. Release for SkillBridge is always mission-dependent and your unit Commander must authorize participation prior to entering into any agreement with interested industry employment partners.
SW Design School is a SkillBridge Partner!
You may be eligible to participate in SkillBridge if you:
- Have 180 days of service or fewer remaining prior to your date of separation and you have at least 180 continuous days of active service
- Obtain approval from your unit commander, and
- Agree that participation in SkillBridge can be terminated at any time by the Service if mission requirements dictate.
Note: As published in the Joint ethics regulations of the Department of Defense and as outlined in the U.S. Department of Labor guidance, Service members participating in a SkillBridge program are participating in a Capstone training experience at the end of the military career and are NOT eligible for wages or other benefits from industry partners since the program is supported by the Department of Defense which will continue to cover the salaries and benefits of the participating members.
UPCOMING DODSKILLBRIDGE CLASSES
Chapter 36 FAQ's
As an active duty service member, you are an employee of the United States Government. We are NOT allowed to 1) pay you while on active duty 2) enroll you into our Apprenticeship program because as an apprentice, you would be considered OUR employee. As our employee, you do NOT pay us for training. Once accepted, you agree to the pay scale for the apprenticeship program you are accepted into.
The fee is for our Pre-Apprenticeship training. The clock hours are accepted into the apprenticeship programs as credit towards the certification.
- All applicants applying for apprenticeship training must enter a resume located in the enrollment portal to be considered an applicant.
- The staff will be looking for factors such as; previous work experience, and related training, the reason for interest in the occupation, military affiliation, pre-apprenticeship certifications offered by the firm, and current technical background.
- Criminal background is not accepted for the apprenticeship program due to the nature of business. However, we do have positions where the criminal background would not be an issue. Qualified applicants who meet the above minimum qualifications will be rated numerically on the basis of the following factors:
RATING SYSTEM MAXIMUM POINTS ALLOWED
1. References =10 pts
2. Attendance and Conduct Records from previous employment and/or school = 10 pts
3. Previous work experience and/or training related to the occupation/ pre-apprenticeship training = 20 pts
4. Once selected, Interview (Interviews will be limited to objective questions that may help determine the interest level of applicants for apprenticeship) = 20 pts
5. Veteran of Military Services = 30 pts
6. Voluntary Services = 10 pts
Qualifying score: 60 pts
Maximum score: 100 pts
Only with approval from your Command. An Administrative Action form would need to accompany the SkillBridge Packet. (Download AA Form Template). For more details, reference page 2 of the SkillBridge Application.
Each program is different in that some programs are “free” to the service member and don’t use the G.I. Bill, whereas some do. The Program POC or the SkillBridge Coordinator can best answer this question. SW Design School LLC d/b/a K-12 Coders accepts VA Education Benefits. Once you set up your to speak with our Enrollment Specialist, other funding options may be available for Active Duty Service Members.
No. If you are still on active duty while attending a SkillBridge program, then you will NOT receive any extra pay from either the program or the VA since you will still be on active duty.
If it’s a “Free” program, meaning that that the program will cover the cost of the training, then there will be NO income for you if you EAS while on the training. Our STEM Instructor Training Course is NOT a “free” course. Please discuss with our enrollment specialist other funding options if you do not have the funds to cover the cost.
No, with the exception of Onward 2 Opportunity (O2O).
It is required to have completed TRS before being able to apply and attend any SkillBridge program.
UPCOMING VR&E TRAINING CLASSES
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill